At AD Hewett we take complaints very seriously indeed and try to ensure that all patients are pleased with their experience of our service. When patients complain, they are dealt with courteously and promptly so that the matter is resolved as quickly as possible. This procedure is based on these objectives.
Our aim is to react to complaints in the way in which we would want our complaint about a service to be handled. We learn from every mistake that we make and we respond to patients’ concerns in a caring and sensitive way.
1. The person responsible for dealing with any complaint about the service we provide is the practice manager Yvonne Legood
2. If a patient complains on the telephone or at the reception desk, we will listen to his or her complaint and offer to refer him or her to the practice manager immediately.
If he/she is not available at the time, then the patient will be told when he or she will be able to talk to the dentist and arrangements will be made for this to happen.
The member of staff will take brief details of the complaint and pass them on. If we cannot arrange this within a reasonable period or if the patient does not wish to wait to discuss the matter, arrangements will be made for someone else to deal with it.
3. If the patient complains in writing the letter will be passed on immediately to the practice manager.
4. If a complaint is about any aspect of clinical care or associated charges it will normally be referred to the dentist, unless the patient does not want this to happen.
5. We will acknowledge the patient’s complaint in writing.
6. We will confirm the decision about the complaint in writing to the patient immediately after completing our investigation.
7. Proper and comprehensive reports are kept of any complaint received.
8. If patients are not satisfied with the result of our procedure then a complaint may be made to
– The Dental Complaints Service (08456 120 540) for complaints about private treatment
– The General Dental Council, 37 Wimpole Street, London, W1M 8DQ (the dentists’ registration body)
– The Care Quality Commission, City Gate, Gallowgate, Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 4PA5